Injured Because Of An Incident That Happened On A Cruise? Your Rights
Most travelers don’t think they’ll become injured during their cruise trip. They assume that the ship will have all the security and safety arrangements needed for the passengers to be safe and enjoy the trip to the fullest. While most cruise ships do take all the precautions needed to keep travelers safe, they can make mistakes or let their standards slip enough to compromise the safety of their passengers. At Charlip Law Group, LC we evaluate if the situation could’ve been avoided and make sure the passengers receive the justice and compensation they deserve.
What kinds of injuries are likely to occur on the cruise ship?
Passengers can sustain different kinds of injuries during their journey, many of which can be disabling. Here are some of the common injuries that can occur during a cruise trip:
- Head, ankle, knee or hip injuries caused by slips and falls on uneven or wet surfaces.
- Broken bones.
- Illnesses caused by viruses or bacteria.
- Slipping and falling in the pool.
- Sexual assault.
- Misadventure while on a tour.
- Medical malpractice.
- Drowning or near drowning.
Disabling injuries have a big impact on the quality of life and financial circumstances of the injured party. Where a disabling injury could have and should have been avoided by the cruise line, an experienced cruise ship injury attorney can seek and obtain compensation on your behalf. Compensation from the cruise line however is not easily obtained and it is therefore important to begin building and documenting your case as soon as you are injured.
What are the conditions?
Compensation may not be provided for all injuries and illnesses. If your injury was caused by the negligence of the cruise line and staff, you should pursue a claim. Here are some examples of cases that were successfully fought against cruise lines:
- $21.5M verdict against Holland America for sliding glass door striking a man in the head. James R. Hausman (man struck) suffered minor brain injury and a federal jury in Seattle awarded him $21.5M ($16.5 million in punitive damages and $5 million for past and future pain, suffering and emotional distress. – Seattle Times
- Royal Caribbean losses court decision over norovirus outbreak on cruise ship. While onboard Royal Caribbean’s Vision of the Seas 348 people contracted norovirus. – Complete Story
- Elizabeth McQuillan awared $90,000 for a trip and fall injury that occurred onboard the Norwegian Jewel. – Complete Story
An experienced cruise ship injury lawyer will examine your potential case carefully and determine who has liability. They collect evidence and then prepare their argument based on facts and available evidence. Our lawyers will always offer objective and honest advice on your case.
If you want to know more or need some advice on your particular case, don’t hesitate to contact us at Charlip Law Group, LC at 888-815-1418 or use this contact us form to get in touch with us.
Charlip Law Group, LC is located in North Miami, FL and serves clients in and around North Miami Beach, Miami Beach, Miami, Hialeah, Opa Locka, Dania, Key Biscayne, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Pompano Beach, Broward County and Miami-Dade County.
© 2016 - 2020 Charlip Law Group, LC, Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by First Class Alliance.